Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cheap Eats: Day Two

Well first I'll tell you that I'm frustrated with my memory card reader because I went to download photos for today's blog and they disappeared!  I don't know what happened but I can't find them and we've eaten everything (except for the cookies I'm about to tell you about!) so I can't even take new pictures.  Bummer.  

But on a good note we've been eating really well!

We did realize that we had nothing sweet to eat so I used some ingredients in my cabinets to make oatmeal cookies - here's the break down of the ingredients and their rough costs for the amount we used:
Butter - $.65
Flour - $.25
Raisins - $.65
Brown sugar - $.35
Total = $1.90
We also used an egg and oats but they were bought with our $50 this week.  There's also a small amount of salt, baking soda, and cinnamon so lets say these two dozen cookies cost us $2.50 (I think that's actually an overestimate).  The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen and they are really, really good!



Here's what we ate for the rest of the day...

Breakfast:
Sara - Big bowl of oatmeal made with 1/2 an apple and coffee
Ron - grapefruit

Lunch:
Sara - Split pea soup again, it's even better on day two, and some baked butternut squash chips. I cut mine too thin but they were still good - crunchy, salty, just a little bit sweet.
Ron - White beans with chipotles, roasted brussel sprouts, and some split pea soup

Dinner:
Sara & Ron - Trout with kale with white beans.  Ron made the trout by brushing it with olive oil, seasoning it with salt and pepper and roasting the whole thing in a 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes.  I  made the kale like I always do with onions and garlic and a splash of red wine vinegar then added some of the white beans that Ron cooked last night.

So yesterday's total was $44.69 - add todays cookies and another diet coke and we're up to $47.49.  We better eat those cookies all week long to make that $2.50 worth it!

Oh the pictures of the butternut squash chips and the trout were so great - sorry again.  My blog will hopefully be more visual tomorrow!

1 comment:

dustykaster said...

those cookies look great!